Mindfield® eSense Skin Response
Biofeedback with the eSense Skin Response!
The Mindfield eSense Skin Response is a small sensor to measure your skin conductance using the microphone input of your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS).
Skin Conductance / Skin Response
Skin response, also known as galvanic skin response (GSR), electrodermal response (EDR) or skin conductance (SC) is a method for measuring the skin's electrical conductance, which varies with its moisture level. Conductance is measured in µSiemens (µS) and is the inverse of electrical resistance.
The eSense Skin Response measures skin conductance between two Velcro electrodes attached to the index- and middle fingers. Active measurement involves applying a very low, unnoticeable voltage to the fingers.
Significance of Skin Conductance and Biofeedback-Training
In a professional, therapeutic context, skin conductance training is the preferred biofeedback training method for anxiety, panic and learning relaxation.
The sweat glands are controlled by the vegetative (sympathetic) nervous system and react directly to the smallest emotional, physical or mental changes. A rise in skin conductance is clearly visible under the influence of stress. Stress factors may be, for example, mental activity, emotional arousal, deep inhalation or frightening.
Even the smallest changes are made visible with the aid of the app, and can be used for biofeedback training to reduce stress. A detailed introduction is included in the free app.
Manuals for the eSense Skin Response
eSense Mobile App
The eSense comes with the eSense app which you can load for free in the in the Google Play Store (Android) or in the Apple App Store (iOS). The app contains a variety of functions for an effective biofeedback training in a modern design. Essential function are the display of the measured values app as bargraph and oscilloscope, a feedback by video, music, tones, vibration and by light via a bluetooth smart bulb.
eSense Web App and SDK
In addition to the app, we have also developed an eSense web app that mirrors and supplements the app. You can use this with the account and plans mentioned above. You can analyze your recorded data (with the basic plan) or even transfer your data to a PC in real time (live streaming with the premium plan).
The main advantage of this is that you can see the graph even better with a large screen and enlarge individual areas and have more advanced analyze features.
You can also create your own apps with our SDK. We have also developed the eSense Web App which allows you to stream your measurement data directly to a PC.
Procedures (inside eSense App)
A Procedure consists of several assembled modules. A module can be for example a picture, a video, some music, a bargraph, an arrow or others. You can assemble the modules in any length to a fixed procedure. Some contain biofeedback-functions (that means they reflect the changes in your measured values from the eSense), some don't.
With this feature you can build the perfect individual relaxation guide, a stress test, a predefined biofeedback training or use it for your own research. There are many possibilities. During a procedure, your skin response, respectively or temperature (depending on the eSense sensor you have) will be recorded. Afterwards you see your results for each module and in total and you can export those to Excel for further analysis.
Account and Cloud (optional, no obligation)
You can register your own account for the eSense app and book plans. With these you can mainly use the cloud and its functions and get also access to the eSense web app at https://esense.live.
With the basic plan, you can save your measurements locally and online in the cloud and thus access your measurements from all devices and from anywhere. You also get access to the eSense web app
The Premium Plan includes all functions of the Basis Plan. In addition to your measurements, you can also save your procedures online in the cloud and thus access your procedures from all devices. (Attention: Technical limitations from Apple unfortunately do not allow the upload (and thus the synchronization) of audio files. The synchronization of picture and video files is possible, however).
You can also share your measurements with other users. You also have the option to transfer your data to the eSense Web App in real time.
Choose the Skin Response for
- Sweaty hands
- Anxious, distracted thoughts
- Agitated mood
- Low anger threshold
- Poor Impulse Control
Quick User Guide
- When you buy the eSense skin response you can download our free app from the App Store (Apple®) or Google Play (Android).
(You can also download it in advance, but the app can not be effectively used without the sensor)
- Fix the two velcro electrodes around your index- and middle fingers.
- Combine the eSense Skin Response with the microphone jack of your mobile device, and with the velcro electrodes.
- Start the app and click "Start", the measurements will begin.
- Please carefully read the instructions within the app to get the best out of biofeedback training.
- Have fun with the eSense Skin Response!
- P.S. You can re-order velcro electrodes in our shop, but they are durable and can be re-used many times.
For whom is the eSense suitable?
- Mainly for home users
- For professional users (biofeedback trainers / therapists)
Possibilities of the App
To train and improve your breathing, the app offers a wealth of biofeedback feedback:
- Bar feedback
- Curve feedback
- Video feedback (videos included and own videos freely selectable)
- Music feedback (music included and own music freely selectable)
- Tone feedback (change of pitch by the measured values)
- Tactile feedback through vibration (only smartphones; tablets cannot vibrate)
- Feedback through color changes of smart bulbs (Bluetooth bulb and Philips Hue products are controllable)
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
- All iOS devices from version 12.5 or higher, which are (in part):
- Apple® iPhone® 5S, iPhone® 6 / 6S, iPhone® SE / SE 2, iPhone® 7/7 +, iPhone® 8/8 +, iPhone® X, iPhone® XR, iPhone® XS, iPhone® 11/11 Pro, iPhone® 12/12 Pro
- Apple® iPad® from 5th generation (iPad Air) or newer, including all iPad Mini from 2nd generation
- Apple® iPad® Pro from 1st generation or newer
- Apple® iPod Touch® from 6th generation or newer
- Note: Some newer iOS devices without the classic 3.5mm headphone jack and with the newer Lightning / USB-C connector also work perfectly with the eSense. You either need an original Apple USB-C or original Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm connection adapter (not included in the scope of delivery of the eSense). Alternatively you also can use any other adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon
Which Android Devices are Supported?
- All Android Smartphones and Tablets from Android 7.0 (Nougat)
Your Android device requires a 3,5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones! For Android devices without a headphone jack, you can use an adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon.
- If you plan on purchasing a device for using the eSense, we suggest a Nokia G10, a Nokia G21, a Motorola Moto E40 or a Xiaomi Redmi 10 as an inexpensive entry-level device.
Is there a way to extend the cord of the eSense?
- If you wish to use a longer cord between the eSense and your smartphone or tablet, you can extend the original cord of the eSense with a common, 4-pin, 3,5mm jack headset extension cord. We have tested 3 cords that have worked:
- All three suggested cords cost between £ 6-8 and are available f.i. from Amazon. Alternatively you should be able to use other 4-pin cords as well.
Included in Delivery
Mindfield® eSense Skin Response Sensor
2 velcro electrodes
Free app from Mindfield via the App Store or Googly Play.
Extensive instructions for effective training.
Screenshots of the eSense app
The Magic Blue is a smart bulb which can be controlled via Bluetooth. The color as well as the brightness can be adjusted. This enables you to use the light from the bulb as an indicator of your level of stress or relaxation in combination with the eSense Skin Response or eSense Temperature.
From within the eSense App, you can connect to the Magic Blue and use it in your biofeedback session. Depending on the state of your relaxation, the bulb can show different colors or a different brightness or a combination of both.
You can purchase the Magic Blue here: https://mindfield-shop.com/produkt/magic-blue-v2/.
Sampling frequency freely selectable between 1 - 10 Hz (1 - 10 measured values per second)
1 - 10 measured values per second (freely selectable) are stored for exporting the data and can be shared from the app (for example via e-mail, Dropbox or Google Drive) as Excel compatible CSV file
Resolution: 18bit, rounded to 2 digits after the decimal point. Not rounded for export to CS
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under licence.
Attention: Never use the eSense Skin Response while you charge your iOS/Android device!
The eSense Skin Response does not need any batteries and is your iOS/Android device.