Mindfield® eSense Respiration | Biofeedback | Respiratory Feedback
Biofeedback with the eSense Respiration!
The Mindfield eSense Respiration is a small sensor to measure your breathing with your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS).
Respiration is related to tension and relaxation and is a valuabe stress indicator. With the eSense Respiration you can measure and effectively reduce your stress level with biofeedback training. The eSense Respiration gives the user precise feedback about the current level of stress in a variety of forms, e.g. through measurement curves, video and audio presentation. With the eSense Respiration we have decided to measure on a dilating chest strap.
The eSense Respiration measures breathing amplitude and frequency and, optionally with eSense Pulse sensor, Heart rate variability alltogether simultaneously. The eSense app belonging to the eSense is completely free of charge and also allows an export of the collected measurement data as CSV file or PDF report (eg via e-mail, Dropbox or Google Drive).
When measuring the respiration, there are two main measurements; The Respiration Amplitude (RA) and the breathing frequency, breaths per minute. The Respiration is special, as in contrast to other biofeedback parameters it can be controlled consciously. This means that biofeedback respiration training is especially suited for beginners.
Our state of mind is reflected in our breathing. If we are pleased or tense, we usually breathe quickly, irregularly and flatly. Positive as well as negative stress is reflected in this way. If, on the other hand, we are relaxed and calm or sleepy, our breathing is usually slow, even and deep.
In everyday life we rarely think of our breathing and breathe almost exclusively unconsciously. If our unconscious breathing patterns are disturbed by chronic stress, pain or other psychological or physical stresses, this often leads to discomfort and the maintenance of stress. With breathing training, you can train and improve your breathing, achieve deep relaxation states and significantly increase your general well-being. Breathing therefore plays an important role in almost all relaxation techniques such as autogenic training, yoga, meditation and progressive muscle relaxation. With the eSense Respiration you have a powerful tool to enhance your breathing in a modern way.
Downloads zum eSense Respiration
Download our eSense app
eSense app from Mindfield
The eSense comes with the eSense app which you can load for free in the in the Google Play Store (Android), in the Apple App Store (iOS) or the Amazon Appstore. The app contains a variety of functions for an effective biofeedback training in a modern design. Essential function are the display of the measured values app as bargraph and oscilloscope, a feedback by video, music, tones, vibration and new: by light via a bluetooth smart bulb.
eSense SDK and eSense Dashboard
You can also create your own apps with our SDK. We have also developed the eSense Dashboard which allows you to stream your measurement data directly to a PC.
eSense Respiration & eSense Pulse
The eSense Respiration can be combined with the eSense Pulse and used simultaneously. Your breathing is a stimulator for your heartbeat and therefore combining both eSense sensors can take your training to the next level.
Procedures (inside eSense App)
A Procedure consists of several assembled modules. A module can be for example a picture, a video, some music, a bargraph, an arrow or others. You can assemble the modules in any length to a fixed procedure. Some contain biofeedback-functions (that means they reflect the changes in your measured values from the eSense), some don't. With this feature you can build the perfect individual relaxation guide, a stress test, a predefined biofeedback training or use it for your own research. There are many possibilities. During a procedure, your skin response, respectively or temperature (depending on the eSense sensor you have) will be recorded. Afterwards you see your results for each module and in total and you can export those to Excel for further analysis.
Possibilities of the App
To train and improve your breathing, the app offers a wealth of biofeedback feedback:
- Bar feedback
- Curve feedback
- Video feedback (videos included and own videos freely selectable)
- Music feedback (music included and own music freely selectable)
- Tone feedback (change of pitch by the measured values)
- Tactile feedback through vibration (only smartphones; tablets cannot vibrate)
- Feedback through color changes of smart bulbs (Bluetooth bulb and Philips Hue products are controllable)
Choose the Respiration for
- Fast shallow breathing
- Train abdominal breathing
- Balance breath cycle
The eSense Respiration with the App offers you
- A pressure sensor to record your breathing (breathing frequency, breathing depth, breathing pattern) (application always in connection with eSense skin response, as a sensor cable)
- A stretch belt that is comfortable to wear, washable and durable
- Comfortable to wear over clothing
- Unlimited recording duration
- Unlimited number of sessions and users
- Extensive statistics for breath analysis
- Breathing aid for breathing training with freely adjustable intervals, auxiliary tones and more
- Export of measurement data as a csv file with compatibility to other software programs for further analysis
- Export of curves, diagrams and statistics as a PDF report
- Set any number of markers during a recording
- Different, prefabricated training procedures are included in the app
- Free training according to your wishes with any biofeedback variant or several at the same time
- Extensive in-app help and manuals
- Regular app updates
- Possible combination with the eSense Pulse for heart rate variability biofeedback with determination of the coherence between heartbeat and respiration!
Quick Guide to Usage
- When you buy the eSense Respiration you can download our free app from the App Store (Apple®) or Google Play (Android).
(You can also download it in advance, but the app can not be effectively used without the sensor)
Put on the chest strap as shown in the manual and adjust it to the correct length. The strap should be tight, but not uncomfortably tight or squeezed.
- Start the app and click "Start", the measurements will begin.
- Please carefully read the instructions within the app to get the best out of biofeedback training.
- Have fun with the eSense Respiration!
For whom is the eSense suitable?
- Mainly for home users
- For professional users (biofeedback trainers)
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
- Apple® iPhone® from 4S or higher
- Apple® iPad® from 3rd generation or higher
- Apple® iPad® Pro from 1st generation or higher (in combination with a USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter)
- Apple® iPod touch® from 5th generation or higher
- Apple® iPhone® 7, iPhone® 7 Plus, iPhone® 8, iPhone® 8 Plus, iPhone® X, iPhone® XR, iPhone® XS, iPhone® 11 and iPhone® 11 Pro (in combination with the original Apple USB-C or original Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter, not included with the eSense)
Which Android Devices are Supported?
- All Android Smartphones and Tablets from 4.4
Your Android device requires a 3,5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones!
If you plan on purchasing a device for using the eSense, we suggest the Amazon Fire 7 as an affordable tablet.
Is there a way to extend the cord of the eSense?
- If you wish to use a longer cord between the eSense and your smartphone or tablet, you can extend the original cord of the eSense with a common, 4-pin, 3,5mm jack headset extension cord. We have tested 3 cords that have worked:
- 2m cord: http://amzn.to/2kJwqBM
- 0,5m cord: http://amzn.to/2kKEONs
- 110cm cord: http://amzn.to/2jJg1LZ
- All three suggested cords cost between £ 6-8 and are available f.i. from Amazon. Alternatively you should be able to use other 4-pin cords as well.
Included in Delivery
- Mindfield® eSense Respiration Sensor incl. replacement spring
- Expansion strap
- eSense App from Mindfield (Apple App Store, Google Play or Amazon App Store) - Detailed instructions for effective biofeedback training
- Attention! To run eSense Respiration, you need an eSense Skin Response! eSense Respiration is an additional product to eSense Skin Response. eSense Skin Response is available in a package with eSense Respiration at a reduced price. Users who already own eSense Skin Response can purchase eSense Respiration as a supplement.
Screenshots of the eSense app
New: Magic Blue smart bulb (optional)
The Magic Blue is a smart bulb which can be controlled via Bluetooth. The color as well as the brightness can be adjusted. This enables you to use the light from the bulb as an indicator of your level of stress or relaxation in combination with the eSense Skin Response or eSense Temperature.
From within the eSense App, you can connect to the Magic Blue and use it in your biofeedback session. Depending on the state of your relaxation, the bulb can show different colors or a different brightness or a combination of both.
You can purchase the Magic Blue here: https://mindfield-shop.com/en/magic-blue-led-esense.html.
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under licence.
Attention: Never use the eSense Skin Response/Respiration while you charge your iOS/Android device!
The eSense Skin Response does not need any batteries and is your iOS/Android device.