Mindfield® eSense Temperature
Biofeedback with the eSense Temperature!
The eSense Temperature is a small sensor for measuring your skin temperature with the microphone input of your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS.)
Handwarming training is an especially effective and common biofeedback method. The temperature of our hands is connected to our stress level: When we are stressed, we tend to have cold hands. Immediate feedback enables you to voluntarily increase the skin temperature in your fingers, thus increasing your peripheral blood circulation, leading to relaxation and stress reduction.
The eSense provides you in various ways with exact feedback about your momentary stress level, e.g. with measurement curves, video display and audio feedback features.
For the audio features, the eSense has a headphone jack now. This means that additional to the auditory feedback you can listen to music or audio books while training your stress level down!
The app for eSense is free, and allows exporting the measured data via e-mail.
We also recommend using the eSense Temperature with the Innovative Finger Clip (in the Mindfield Shop). This enables a comfortable fixation of the temperature sensor to your finger.
Background Information on Skin Temperature
The skin's surface temperature changes according to blood circulation through body tissue. The small blood vessels (arterioles) crossing through the tissue are surrounded by fibers of smooth muscle controlled by the sympathetic nervous system.
In a state of increased exertion, excitement and stress, these muscle fibers contract and narrow the blood vessels. This leads to a reduction of skin temperature because blood circulation through the tissue is reduced. By contrast, in a resting or calm state, the muscles relax and the blood vessels expand. The skin temperature rises.
Conscious control of physiological stress can help you react more relaxed and more efficiently to many situations. This mechanism can be practiced using the eSense Temperature through conditioning. Detailed instructions are included with the app.
Skin temperature biofeedback is easy to use and learn. It has a high success rate and brings about a general improvement in wellbeing.
Downloads of eSense Temperature
Download our eSense App
Our free app from Mindfield
This app is free and included with every eSense, it provides all features as described on this page. With buying an eSense you get this free, professional and fully featured app for perfect biofeedback training.
New eSense universal app from Mindfield (2016, just 4,99 USD)
In addition we recommend to grab our new designed eSense app with extended features (Release August 2016) available for 4,99 USD in Apple App Store or Google Play Store. This app offers the same functions of the free app plus some new feautures as described on the app page in the app stores in a fresh new design.
Quick User Guide
- When you buy the eSense temperature you can download our free app from the App Store (Apple®) or Google Play (Android).
(You can also download it in advance, but the app can not be effectively used without the sensor)
- Fix the two velcro electrodes around your index- and middle fingers, or simply grip them tightly.
- Combine the eSense Temperature with the microphone jack of your device.
- Open the app and click "Start", the measurement will begin
- Carefully read the instructions to get the most out of your device. The user should wait at least 5 mnutes to acclimatize to room temperature, so that a stable, balanced temperature can be determined.
- Enjoy the benefits of the Sense Temperature!
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
Apple® iPhone® from 4S
Apple® iPad® from 2nd Generation
Apple® iPod touch® from 5th Generation
Which Android Devices are Supported?
- Android Smartphones and Tablets from 4.0
- Your Android device requires a 3,5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones!
Is there a way to extend the cord of the eSense?
- If you wish to use a longer cord between the eSense and your smartphone or tablet, you can extend the original cord of the eSense with a common, 4-pin, 3,5mm jack headset extension cord. We have tested 3 cords that have worked:
- 2m cord: http://amzn.to/2kJwqBM
- 0,5m cord: http://amzn.to/2kKEONs
- 110cm cord: http://amzn.to/2jJg1LZ
- All three suggested cords cost between £ 6-8 and are available f.i. from Amazon. Alternatively you should be able to use other 4-pin cords as well.
Included in Delivery
Mindfield® eSense Temperature Sensor
One velcro strap for the Sensor
Free app from Mindfield via the App Store or Googly Play.
Extensive instructions for effective training.
Screenshots of the new eSense App 2016
App is multilingual! Screenshots here are in German language.
Measurement at 10 Hz (10 values per second).
One value per second (averaged) is stored in the app and can be exported as a CSV file via e-mail.
Resolution: 18bit, rounded to 2 digits after the decimal point. Not rounded for export to CS
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under licence.
Attention: Never use the eSense Temperature while you charge your iOS/Android device! The eSense Temperature is NOT a clinical thermometer!
The eSense Temperature does not need any batteries and is your iOS/Android device.