Mindfield® eSense Skin Response
Biofeedback with the eSense Skin Response!
The Mindfield eSense Skin Response is a small sensor to measure your skin conductance using the microphone input of your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS.)
Your skin conductance depends directly on your state of relaxation or stress, making it a commonly used and very precise stress indicator. With the eSense Skin Response, you can precisely identify your stress level and reduce it with biofeedback training.
The eSense provides you in various ways with exact feedback about your momentary stress level, e.g. with measurement curves, video display and audio feedback features.
For the audio biofeedback, the eSense now has a headphone jack, so you can additionaly listen to music or audio books while training your stress level down!
The app for eSense is free, and allows exporting the measured data via e-mail.
Skin Conductance / Skin Response
Skin response, also known as galvanic skin response (GSR), electrodermal response (EDR) or skin conductance (SC) is a method for measuring the skin's electrical conductance, which varies with its moisture level. Conductance is measured in µSiemens (µS) and is the inverse of electrical resistance.
The eSense Skin Response measures skin conductance between two Velcro electrodes attached to the index- and middle fingers. Active measurement involves applying a very low, unnoticeable voltage to the fingers.
Significance of Skin Conductance and Biofeedback-Training
In a professional, theraputic context, skin conductance training is the preferred biofeedback training method for anxiety, panic and learning relaxation.
The sweat glands are controlled by the vegetative (sympathetic) nervous system and react directly to the smallest emotional, physical or mental changes. A rise in skin conductance is clearly visible under the influence of stress. Stress factors may be, for ecample, mental activity, emotional arousal, deep inhalation or fright.
Even the smallest changes are made visible with the aid of the app, and can be used for biofeedback training to reduce stress.
A detailed introduction is included in the free app.
Downloads for eSense Skin Response
Download our eSense App
Our free app from Mindfield
This app is free and included with every eSense, it provides all features as described on this page. With buying an eSense you get this free, professional and fully featured app for perfect biofeedback training.
New eSense universal app from Mindfield (2016, just 4,99 USD)
In addition we recommend to grab our new designed eSense app with extended features (Release August 2016) available for 4,99 USD in Apple App Store or Google Play Store. This app offers the same functions of the free app plus some new feautures as described on the app page in the app stores in a fresh new design.
Quick Guide to Usage
- When you buy the eSense skin response you can download our free app from the App Store (Apple®) or Google Play (Android).
(You can also download it in advance, but the app can not be effectively used without the sensor)
- Fix the two velcro electrodes around your index- and middle fingers.
- Combine the eSense Skin Response with the microphone jack of your mobile device, and with the velcro electrodes.
- Start the app and click "Start", the measurements will begin.
- Please carefully read the instructions within the app to get the best out of biofeedback training.
- Have fun with the eSense Skin Response!
- P.S. You can re-order velcro electrodes in our shop, but they are durable and can be re-used many times.
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
- Apple® iPhone® from 4S
- Apple® iPad® from 2nd Generation
- Apple® iPod touch® from 5th Generation
Which other Android Devices are Supported?
- Android smartphones and tablets from Android 4.0
Your Android device requires a 3,5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones!
Is there a way to extend the cord of the eSense?
- If you wish to use a longer cord between the eSense and your smartphone or tablet, you can extend the original cord of the eSense with a common, 4-pin, 3,5mm jack headset extension cord. We have tested 3 cords that have worked:
- 2m cord: http://amzn.to/2kJwqBM
- 0,5m cord: http://amzn.to/2kKEONs
- 110cm cord: http://amzn.to/2jJg1LZ
- All three suggested cords cost between £ 6-8 and are available f.i. from Amazon. Alternatively you should be able to use other 4-pin cords as well.
Included with eSense Skin Response
Mindfield® eSense Skin Response Sensor
2 velcro electrodes
Free app from Mindfield via the App Store or Google Play
Extensive instructions for effective biofeedback training.
Screenshots of the new eSense App 2016
Sampling frequency 10 Hz (10 values per second)
Five values per second are saved for exported data and can be sent via the app by E-Mail as ExcelTM-compatible CSV files .
Resolution: 18bit, rounded to 2 decimal places, not rounded for export
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under licence.
Attention: Never use the eSense Skin Response while you charge your iOS/Android device!
The eSense Skin Response does not need any batteries. It is your iOS/Android device.